- One of the senses of By way of prep. is described as ‘With plural or collective noun as complement’, referring to examples such as ‘bounding through the woods‘ and ‘She slipped through the competition.’
A noun keywords is a group of words consisting of a noun or pronoun along with any modifiers of that noun or pronoun (such as determiners, adjectives, postmodifying phrases, etc.). A noun phrase functions in a sentence exactly like a noun. The underlined phrases in the following are examples of noun phrases: ‘That’s the most popular june sport’, ‘The news out-of their demise came as an excellent treat‘, ‘Did you see anything interesting?’
- Value adj. 1(a) is described as ‘With noun or noun phrase as complement.’ An example of worth with a noun phrase is ‘It is worth 10 bits of gold‘: ten pieces of gold is a noun phrase consisting of the noun pieces premodified by ten and postmodified by the phrase of gold.
Number is a grammatical category used to classify word forms according to how many people or things they refer to. In modern English, the two number categories are just one and plural. See also twin.
An object is a noun, noun phrase, pronoun, or clause which forms the complement of a transitive verb and typically refers to something or someone that is affected by the action denoted by that verb.
An immediate object generally means some thing or a person that is in person influenced by the experience denoted by verb: for example most of the pie during the John consumed most of the cake. When you look at the English, the fresh lead object always follows brand new verb.
A direct object could also be used and additionally an indirect object, which typically refers to the individual otherwise purpose of the experience denoted by verb: like Louise when you look at the Provide Louise particular pie. In the English, brand new secondary object always observe the new verb and you may before direct object.
On the OED, target is utilized since the default name to refer to your direct object; lead target is utilized if you have a distinction with secondary object.
- BLUE-Rinse v. is defined as ‘To treat (hair) with a blue rinse. Also with person as object.’ This means that the direct object of blue-rinse usually denotes hair (as in ‘He had prepared for his performance by blue-rinsing his tresses‘) but it may also denote a person (as in ‘He has evidently just blue-rinsed Mrs Irons‘).
- At AUGUR v. 1, ‘To predict, to anticipate’, there is a set of quotations described as ‘With clause as object’. For example, in ‘I do not pretend to augur what the courts perform‘, the clause ‘what the courts will do’ functions as the direct object of augur.
- At Me personally pron. step 1 , sense 1 gives examples of me ‘As direct object of a verb’, including ‘Hear me, for I will speak’ and ‘He..hauled me to my feet’. By contrast, sense 2 gives examples of me ‘As indirect object’, including ‘Dalek..sold me two ounces of Colombian gold reefer’ (where two ounces of Colombian gold reefer is the direct object, and me is the indirect object).
- Secure v. 3f is defined as ‘With direct and indirect object. To make sure that (a person) obtains something.’ For example, in ‘This would secure him a promotion’, a promotion is the direct object, and him is the indirect object.
- When a word functions as the object of a sentence or clause, it is in the http://datingranking.net/pl/chatfriends-recenzja/ objectivecase. In modern English, pronouns have different forms depending on case, and the main objective pronouns are me, you, him, her, it, us, and Objective pronouns are contrasted with personal pronouns such as I, he, etc. (Note that you and it have the same form in both the subjective and objective case.)